Bird baths come in various shapes and sizes and can add beauty and functionality to your garden. While a sculptured or ornamental bird bath may bring an artistic touch to one's outdoor space, the main function of a garden bird bath is to give birds a safe place to bathe, drink water, and clean their feathers. So, what is the best bird bath for your garden? Let's find out!
We sell a range of bird baths here at Really Wild Bird Food, including classic ornate bird baths, wrap-around bird baths, tree pedestal bird baths, and more. With so many options available, you should have no problem finding the best bird bath for your garden and the feathered friends who visit it.
But how do you choose the best bird bath for your garden? Here are some tips to help you make the right purchase...
What is the best bird bath for me?
- First of all, looks are important when it comes to choosing the best bird bath for your garden. There are a number of different designs available, and you should choose something that complements the overall appearance of your garden. We love the look of this Echoes Bird Bath, a large, glazed bird bath with a ripple design that looks great and provides added grip and stability for birds in need of a drink!
- Birds baths come in a variety of different materials and depths. The best bird baths have bowls with varying depths (between 1 and 4 inches) so that birds can choose whether they want to perch and drink from the bird bath or dive in for a quick swim. Look for a product with a rough surface and shallow sloping sides to ensure your feathered friends can get in and out easily.
- Size matters! Try to select a bird bath that, in addition to being visually appealing, is a good size for your garden. Think about the birds that regularly visit your garden and try to cater to them. There's no point buying a huge, deep bird bath if the only birds that visit you are little finches! Bird baths are often regarded as good focal points for an outdoor space, the best bird baths are both functional and pleasing to look at.
- Consider the preferences of the birds you wish to attract. Some birds bathe in isolation, while others (e.g. starlings) like to bathe in groups. The latter birds will require a bigger bird bath than those that bathe alone. It's a good idea to do plenty of research to help you find the best bird bath for your garden.
- Cleanliness should be a key factor. A bird bath with a simple design will be easier to clean, and thus more hygienic overall. When filling your bird bath, you should use tap water or fresh water from a water butt. You may find that algae, leaves and droppings build up in your bird bath, so be sure to clean it regularly with a stiff brush and some diluted disinfectant.
- Vetark Citrosan solution is a perfect, natural, biodegradable product that can be added to drinking and bathing water to minimise the risk of a disease outbreak. Adding this to your bird bath is sure to make your bird bath the best bird bath in town!
- In order to attract birds, you will need to consider the height of your bird bath. The best bird baths for smaller birds are tall bird baths, while bigger birds (like blackbirds) will prefer to bathe at ground level. Just make sure that you don't have any cats or dogs mooching around your bird bath if you choose to place it on the ground.
- Visibility is also important. While you will no doubt want to be able to see your bird bath, it should be positioned close to some kind of protective cover that will protect birds from predators. Small trees and shrubs are ideal for this purpose & will make your garden visitors feel at ease.
These are a few things that you should consider in order to choose the best bird bath for your garden birds. It should not only be artistic in a way that beautifies your garden but also functional.
You should always choose a bird bath that serves the dual purpose of visual appeal and providing a comfortable bathing station for the birds themselves.
We hope that this will help you choose the best bird bath for your garden. If you have any questions, or if you would like to enquire about our bird baths & bird care products, don't hesitate to get in touch! You can call us on 01489 896785 or send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Browse our range of bird baths and drinkers >>